The responsibility of the Safety Manager is to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines and provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations. Under the direction of the Safety/Risk Director, the Safety Manager will be responsible for providing support to the project management team, foremen and workers. The goal is to establish a safe workplace environment and to foster a culture of attention to health and safety throughout the company.
- Supporting the development of OHS policies and programs
- Advising and instructing on various safety-related topics (fall protection, use of machinery etc.)
- Conducting risk assessments and enforcing preventative measures
- Support the development of OHS policies and programs
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (struck-by hazards, fall hazards etc.)
- Regularly review and be familiar with all applicable legislative and applicable standards, to ensure compliance.
- Develop Job Hazard Analysis for projects in order to identify job related hazards and the recommended controls that will be implemented to mitigate exposure to these hazards.
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to regulatory compliance
- Initiate and organize OHS training of employees and management
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Develop mitigation measures to prevent any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
- Record and investigate incidents to determine root cause and the development of corrective action plans as required.
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven experience in safety with minimum of 5 years field experience (construction preferred)
- Certificate in occupational health and safety preferred (OSHA Construction Outreach Trainer)
- In depth knowledge of OSHA Construction & General Industry regulations.
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety
- The ability to demonstrate the application of risk assessment to company operations and activities.
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Diligent with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
- Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus
Skills / Knowledge:
- Excellent Incident Investigation skills
- Excellent leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Analytical skills
- Probability and decision-making skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Effective organizational skills
More Career Opportunities
- Apprenticeship Program
- Project Manager - Nationwide Large Projects
- Laborer/Rigger - All Locations
- Welder / Fabricator - All Locations
- CDL Driver - All Locations
- CDL Licensed/Rigger – All Locations
- Sales Representative - Southeast Region
- Sales Representative - Tennessee Valley - Mid Atlantic Region
- Equipment Mechanic - All Locations
- Safety Manager
- Maintenance Shop Manager